Why study with HIMAA?
HIMAA is industry-recognised as providing quality education courses. As the professional association for health information management professionals, HIMAA sets national standards, has expert knowledge and keeps abreast of industry changes. Our educators are passionate about helping students to succeed. HIMAA members know about employment opportunities, can collaborate in communities of practice, network with peers, and have access to contemporary ongoing learning resources and opportunities.
Congratulations to our first cohort of Diploma graduates in December 2023, with best wishes for a happy and successful coding career to each of you.
HLT50321 Diploma of Clinical Coding – Enrolments are open in Feb-March, May and July
Total course hours: 750 over a 20-month enrolment period (about 12 hours per week).
Enrolments open on the 1st February for the next intake.
Elementary Medical Terminology
Medical terminology is the language used to communicate facts and ideas specific to medicine and healthcare. These words and symbols relate to body systems, anatomical structures, medical diagnoses, and procedures.
Elementary Medical Terminology – Enrolments open the 1st to the 5th February through to December, except January.
Total course hours: 80 over a 6-month enrolment period (about 3 hours per week).
The next enrolment opens on the 1st February.
This course is designed for:
- Health informaiton services/medical record staff (not for clinical coders)
- Health insurance claims assessors
- Health informatics/IT
- Medical receptionists
- Ward clerks
- Booking officers
- Admission clerks
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Analyse medical terms structurally into roots, prefixes, suffixes and combining forms.
- Define and spell common medical terms
- Convert common terms to their equivalent medical terms
- Expand common medical abbreviations
- Use a medical dictionary to clarify the meaning of medical terms
- Understand basic anatomy and physiology associated with body systems.